Zero Productivity

"What's your progress?" asked my professor with regard to the summer research that I'm supposed to conduct in return of the money I get paid.


I pondered for a moment as I tried to formulate an answer. Immediately, my mind drifted and I began wondering about the progress in other aspects of my life. It occurred to me, one by one, that I was failing everywhere.

Clearly, I hadn't written a single word since February (ofcourse I don't consider these blogs and other shit as serious writing), so that way my writing career wasn't going any further. On reading, I did read a 'few good books' since the new year began. But the problem was the count was "few". I averaged reading 1 book in a month, while it should actually be a book in a week. I wished I read more.

Health was another dimension in which I had planned to improve but all that happened in this field was "planning", nothing else. Personal life, friendships, romances were as usual on a decline so I didn't complain about productivity there.

The click of my professor's pen brought my senses back to the present situation while the question still hung loosely between the two of us. What was my progress?

I had no answer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Book: "Wuthering Heights" By Emily Bronte
Current Music: "Mr. Saxobeat" by Alexandra Stan.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------People who read this post also liked :


7 comments:

Prerna Grover said...

Hey don't worry, all this is just a part of life.. I'm going through a bad phase too but don't forget that it will soon pass! I read this quote today and would like to share it with you -

"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes
good things fall apart so better things can fall together."
-- Marilyn Monroe

Its hard to believe in these things at times, but someday when you look at the bigger picture, it does make sense! So don't lose hope and just hang in there!

Tanya said...

Oww, thanks Prerna! That's shooo cuteee, very few ppl say that kinda things to us

Ashish Daga said...

Well research is part n parcel of graduate life. Planning its a general trait with Indians and from what I notice in the years gone by we live by it w/o actually implementing it :P. Only if one day we implement the "plans" be it professional or personal life :)

Tanya said...

Well said, Sir Daga!

Anonymous said...

nice thoughts out heree.. liked the quote mentioned by prerna..

Tanya said...

Thanks Anony for being such a regular reader and commentator. I always look forward to your reaction when I write :)

Anonymous said...

:) :)

Post a Comment

The Thought Pad Headline Animator

Hottest Posts

Make your own

About Me

My photo
My little body is aweary of this great world. An Indian PhD student horsing around in Europe.

Subscribe Some Shit

Followers

FeedCount