What are we writing?

While the context of this post might appear similar to something I posted recently and thus this piece is highly prone to being considered as another load of extra kilobytes on the fattening Internet, I'll not make any point in it's defense, accepting that yes I didn't have anything special to write this time (so I thought why not give some banal lecture on writing), except that I'd like to make one excuse for this post's existence by saying that this useless piece is indeed going to make a useful point on the art of writing. 

My point, never write pieces which are of no use or never write without a purpose.

We often (at least me) find ourselves in a situation when we yield, "Oh that, oh no, no, no, that was just for fun. I mean, I wasn't really serious about it while writing it, you just wait for my next story, or my next book."

Well, first of all, if we're lying, it's better we start acting (if not actually being) modest right away, and if are previously novel/story/work-of-art sucked, we should accept the fact right away, keeping in mind that at least our art and our style has improved, allowing us to criticize our works of past. We all try to be cool and hide our flaws, and try to make people believe that we're actually smarter than we appear but it's just that we didn't feel like putting all our smartness out there because we're feeling lazy or something. Yeah sure, I buy that. The truth being - we did the best we could at that point of time, and that's how it was, and we should still be proud of it - especially if it's an art form we worship.

But, but, if we're not lying, then we better be damned. That shows, we purposely invested lesser effort in an art form we love - wasted our time, and then hoped to dominate the world (which didn't quite work), and then on top of all that, we even lost our modesty. Pshaw! Shame! If you love something, why would you make a half-assed effort on it? It almost sounds like making love without passion.

So remember, writers, readers, no matter what you do in life, do it fully, do something which you'll be proud of in the years to come (especially if you have grand illusions in life - like me). If you write something, put your best foot in making sure it shines as bright as hot steel. The first drafts are often in bad shape, they need to be hammered and chipped to perfection.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Book: "The Portrait of a Lady" by Henry James 
Current Music: "Where have you been" by Rihanna (Okay, this one is killing me. <3 Rihanna)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------People who read this post also liked :


7 comments:

Mr.Miglani said...

somebody is serious today

Maitreyee Bhattacharjee Chowdhury said...

Like I always say...words words everywhere..not a word to be proud of..god post!

Tanya said...

@Rahul ^_^

@Maitreyee, Ah, that's pleasing :)

Unknown said...

good. This one is nice , after so long....

Tanya said...

@Unknown
are you khiding me?

Anonymous said...

Ah, you might have read that George Orwell's essay on "Why I write".

Tanya said...

^^ Oh yes I did, it was such a pleasant piece of prose, thanks for recommending it!

btw, long time no see :O

Post a Comment

The Thought Pad Headline Animator

Hottest Posts

Make your own

About Me

My photo
My little body is aweary of this great world. An Indian PhD student horsing around in Europe.

Subscribe Some Shit

Followers

FeedCount